Irvine police respond to roughly 2,400 mental health emergencies each year. There is a strong connection between mental illness and addiction. According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, lifetime incidence of mental illness correlates with 69% of alcohol consumption and 84% of cocaine consumption.
Not only does this strain emergency services, but it’s also a human tragedy that speaks to the dire need for more drug rehab in Irvine, California. In this article, we’ll go over some of the benefits of addiction treatment in Irvine and where you can find it.
What Is Drug Rehab?
Drug rehabilitation, commonly known as drug rehab or rehab, is a process of medical or psychotherapeutic treatment for dependency on drugs or alcohol.
The primary purpose of drug rehab is to help a person live a life free of substance dependence and abuse.
People in Irvine need drug rehab for various reasons, including:
- Addiction Treatment — To treat addiction, which is a complex but treatable disease that affects brain function and behavior.
- Physical Health — To address the physical health issues that arise from prolonged drug abuse.
- Mental Health — To deal with mental health disorders that can co-occur with addiction, such as depression or anxiety.
- Life Skills — To learn new life skills and behaviors to avoid relapse.
- Support Systems — To build a support system that can help in long-term recovery.
Facts and statistics about drug abuse highlight the need for effective drug rehab programs.
Here are some drug statistics that pertain to California:
California Drug Statistics:
- In July 2022, California Border Patrol and DEA agents seized over one million counterfeit pills containing fentanyl. It was the largest seizure of fentanyl in California history to date.
- Half of Californians over age 12 reported using alcohol in the past month
- The number of amphetamine-related emergency department visits in California increased nearly 50% between 2018 and 2020
- Twenty percent of Californians reported using marijuana in the past year
Drug rehab in Irvine can vary depending on the treatment programs, duration, and intensity. It often includes a combination of individual and group therapy, medical care, and other support services. The treatment is highly individualized, based on the type of substance abused and the patient’s specific needs and circumstances.
Five Ways Drug Rehab Can Help You Overcome Addiction
Attending drug rehab in Irvine, California can be just what you need to finally leave your addiction behind.
Here are five key ways in which addiction treatment in Irvine can help you:
- Structured Treatment and Support: An Irvine rehabilitation center provides a structured environment with a schedule of therapies, activities, and support sessions. This structure helps people break free from their addictive behaviors and routines. The constant support from professionals and peers within the facility also provides a safe space to recover, reducing the risk of relapse during the early, vulnerable stages of recovery.
- Medical Supervision and Detoxification: For many dependent on substances, detoxification can be challenging and even dangerous. Drug rehab in Irvine, California offers medical supervision during detox, ensuring safety and comfort. Medical professionals can manage withdrawal symptoms, reducing their severity and potentially preventing any dangerous complications.
- Therapy and Counseling: Irvine rehab centers provide various forms of therapy and counseling, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). The idea is to help a person understand the root causes of their addiction, develop coping mechanisms, and change harmful thought patterns.
- Life Skills Training: Drug rehab in Irvine, California often includes life skills training, which is crucial for long-term recovery. This training can include stress management techniques, nutritional counseling, and strategies for handling cravings. These skills are vital for maintaining sobriety and building a healthy, productive life post-rehab.
- Aftercare and Relapse Prevention: One of the most significant benefits of getting addiction treatment in Irvine, California is the focus on aftercare and relapse prevention. This support might include outpatient therapy, support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous, and sometimes sober living homes. These resources are essential for maintaining sobriety, offering continued support, and providing a community for individuals in recovery.
Who Offers Drug Rehab in Irvine, California?
South Coast Behavioral Health offers men-only drug rehab in Irvine, California. Gender-specific care allows for clients to focus on their recovery without distractions and deal with gender-specific issues.
Some of the issues driving addiction affect men more than women. For example, male alcoholics fall into alcoholism earlier than women. Men begin drinking alcohol younger and do it more often. One reason for this is college fraternity culture, which often encourages men to binge drink as a way of initiation.
Men also use nearly all illicit drugs at a higher rate than women. They’re also more likely to die of overdoses because they avoid the ER at higher rates.
As a result of issues such as these, men statistically have a much higher risk of developing a substance use disorder than women.
Gender-specific care also eliminates distractions which would likely occur if the sexes were mixed. This, in turn, allows for people in rehab in Irvine, California to focus on their recovery, leading to greater camaraderie.
What is Drug Rehab in Southern California Like?
Drug rehabilitation in Southern California involves a comprehensive approach tailored to the individual. This means focusing on not just the physical aspect of addiction but also the mental and even spiritual.
The process and therapies used in addiction treatment in this region typically include the following elements:
- Assessment and Intake: The rehab process usually begins with an assessment, where medical and psychological health professionals will evaluate your substance use history, physical health, and psychological status. This assessment helps in creating a personalized treatment plan.
- Detoxification: The first physical step is often detoxification. During this phase, you’ll abstain from any substance while your body rids itself of drugs or alcohol.
- Therapy and Counseling: Counseling will be aimed at addressing the underlying drivers of your addiction. This often includes individual therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which helps individuals identify and change thought patterns that contribute to their substance use. Group therapy is also common, providing peer support and shared experiences. Family therapy might be included to address and improve family dynamics.
- Holistic Therapies and Activities: These therapies aim to treat the whole person – mind, body, and spirit. This might include yoga, meditation, art therapy, equine therapy, and outdoor recreational activities.
We are open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year.
Drug Addiction Treatment Options at SCBH
If you or a loved one are seeking treatment for addiction, South Coast Behavioral Health is here to help. The first step in treating addiction is a medical detox. This means using drugs to manage withdrawal symptoms.
Our medical detox program in California is staffed by caring and compassionate professionals who can provide you with medications to manage your withdrawal symptoms.
At South Coast, we take pride in offering care that is closely tailored to specific issues. To that end, we offer gender-specific detox programs, with medical detox for men in Irvine, CA, and medical detox for women in Huntington Beach, CA.
After detoxing, proper treatment can begin.
Treatment for substance abuse takes place along an entire spectrum of care. Along that entire spectrum are various behavioral therapies, support groups, and the use of medically-assisted treatment (MAT).
These levels of treatment are, in order, as follows:
Residential Treatment in California
After successfully completing medical detox, you’ll receive inpatient treatment in Orange County California. There, you’ll receive medically-assisted treatment and dual diagnosis treatment to deal with any cravings or co-occurring mental health issues you may be battling.
We also offer residential treatment facilities in Costa Mesa, Irvine, and Huntington Beach for those who desire gender-specific treatment. There, patients get round-the-clock medical attention and monitoring while living at the institution full-time.
In addition to individual and group counseling and medication management, you’ll also have access to leisure activities and family support services.
Partial Hospitalization in California
Most clients start substance abuse treatment with South Coast in our residential treatment program. After completing that, many desire something that still provides structure and support, but with extra space and time to oneself. For that, we offer Partial Hospitalization in Newport Beach.
A step down from inpatient care but with more structure than conventional outpatient programs, partial hospitalization offers a good balance for those looking to ease back into normal life. Clients can receive care five to seven days a week for a number of hours each day, returning back to their homes in the evening.
This way, they can recover without putting their daily lives completely on hold, receiving intense therapeutic interventions like group and individual therapy, skill development, and medication management as necessary.
Intensive Outpatient Treatment in California
For those leaving inpatient residential treatment or partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient programs (IOP) are yet another gradual step forward on the road to recovery.
With a focus on group therapy, individual counseling, and education, clients undergoing Intensive Outpatient Treatment in Newport Beach can meet three to five days a week. Each session lasts three hours.
This level of care requires the least amount of attendance at a facility.
If you or a loved one are struggling with alcohol addiction but wonder how long addiction treatment takes or have other questions, call us at 866-881-1184 or contact us here. Our highly qualified staff will be happy to help give you an idea of what to expect from your addiction recovery timeline, help verify your insurance, and assist with any other questions you may have.