What Is Detox?
“Detox” is short for detoxification, a process your body undergoes to rid itself of toxins, including the substances found in drugs and alcohol. Detox helps stabilize the body and mind after prolonged substance abuse. It’s the first step in addressing the physical dependence on the substance. It’s done in the run-up to treatment and is necessary for treatment to succeed.
Detoxing is generally uncomfortable and can sometimes be painful, or even deadly. For this reason, it’s generally a good idea to check into an Anaheim detox center so you can detox safely.
What Substances Can an Anaheim Detox Center Help With?
An Anaheim detox center will be well-equipped to handle a range of drug addictions.
- Alcohol: Detox involves managing withdrawal symptoms, which can range from mild anxiety and shakes to severe complications like delirium tremens (DTs).
- Opioids (Heroin, Prescription Painkillers): Medically assisted treatment often includes medications like methadone or buprenorphine to ease withdrawal symptoms and cravings.
- Benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax): Detox typically involves tapering off the drug gradually under medical supervision due to the risk of severe withdrawal symptoms, including seizures.
- Cocaine: Treatment focuses on managing withdrawal symptoms like depression, anxiety, and intense cravings.
The common factor in all these substances is their impact on the brain’s reward system. They typically increase the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward, leading to reinforcing the behavior of drug use.
Over time, the brain’s chemistry and structure can change, necessitating continued use of the substance to avoid unpleasant withdrawal symptoms and to feel “normal.” This cycle of tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal underlies the process of addiction.
What is Detox in Anaheim Like?
Detox in Anaheim is a structured process designed to help the body safely cleanse itself of toxins.
The key steps include:
- Assessment and Stabilization: Upon entering a detox facility, individuals undergo a thorough medical and psychological assessment. This helps in creating a personalized detox plan and identifying any co-occurring disorders or medical conditions.
- Medication-assisted Treatment (MAT): Depending on the substance, specific medications may be used to reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms. For example, methadone or buprenorphine for opioid addiction, or benzodiazepines for alcohol withdrawal. The use of these medications is carefully monitored by professionals.
- Counseling: Counseling sessions, either individual or group, are often part of the detox process. They provide emotional support and prepare individuals for the next steps in addiction treatment.
After this, a person may either transfer to the next phase of recovery, which may include inpatient rehab, outpatient programs, or therapy.
We are open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year.
Anaheim Detox Center at South Coast Behavioral Health
If you or a loved one are seeking addiction treatment, South Coast Behavioral Health is here to help. The first step in treating addiction is a medical detox. This means using drugs to manage withdrawal symptoms.
Our medical detox program in California is staffed by caring and compassionate professionals who can provide you with medications to manage your withdrawal symptoms.
At South Coast, we take pride in offering care that is closely tailored to specific issues. To that end, we offer gender-specific detox programs, with medical detox for men in Irvine, CA, and medical detox for women in Huntington Beach, CA.
After detoxing, proper treatment can begin.
Treatment for substance abuse takes place along an entire spectrum of care. Along that entire spectrum are various behavioral therapies, support groups, and the use of medically-assisted treatment (MAT).
These levels of treatment are, in order, as follows:
Residential Treatment in California
After completing medical detox, you’ll receive inpatient treatment in Orange County California. There, you’ll receive medically-assisted treatment and dual diagnosis treatment to deal with any cravings or co-occurring mental health issues you may be battling.
We also offer residential treatment facilities in Costa Mesa, Irvine, and Huntington Beach for those who desire gender-specific treatment. There, patients get round-the-clock medical attention and monitoring while living at the institution full-time.
In addition to individual and group counseling and medication management, you’ll also have access to leisure activities and family support services.
Partial Hospitalization in California
Most clients start substance abuse treatment with South Coast in our residential treatment program. After completing that, many desire something that still provides structure and support, but with extra space and time to oneself. For that, we offer Partial Hospitalization in Newport Beach.
A step down from inpatient care but with more structure than conventional outpatient programs, partial hospitalization offers a good balance for those looking to ease back into normal life. Clients can receive care five to seven days a week for several hours each day, returning to their homes in the evening.
This way, they can recover without putting their daily lives completely on hold, receiving intense therapeutic interventions like group and individual therapy, skill development, and medication management as necessary.
Intensive Outpatient Treatment in California
For those leaving inpatient residential treatment or partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient programs (IOP) are yet another gradual step forward on the road to recovery.
With a focus on group therapy, individual counseling, and education, clients undergoing Intensive Outpatient Treatment in Newport Beach can meet three to five days a week. Each session lasts three hours.
This level of care requires the least amount of attendance at a facility.
If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction but wonder how long addiction treatment takes or have other questions, call us at 866-881-1184 or contact us here. Our highly qualified staff will be happy to help give you an idea of what to expect from your addiction recovery timeline, verify your insurance, and assist with any other questions you may have.