What Is Detox?
Detox, short for detoxification, refers to the process of removing toxic substances from the body. In the context of substance abuse, it specifically involves the elimination of drugs and alcohol from the system and is often the first step in addiction treatment. A Santa Ana detox center has professional staff who can help you do this.
The reason you might need help is to do with the withdrawal process. When someone abuses substances, their body and brain undergo various changes. Physically, the body becomes dependent on these substances to function normally, leading to withdrawal symptoms when the substance is not present.
Withdrawal symptoms can vary depending on the substance and can include nausea, sweating, shakiness, and severe anxiety. Psychologically, substance abuse can alter brain chemistry, affecting mood, decision-making, and behavior. Professional staff and medication at our Santa Ana detox center can be brought to bear in managing the worst acute physical symptoms of withdrawal.
What Substances Can a Santa Ana Detox Center Help With?
A Santa Ana detox center like South Coast can help individuals struggling with addiction to a variety of substances.
These typically include:
- Meth Addiction: Treatment involves detoxification, behavioral therapies, and support groups. Methamphetamine is highly addictive, and treatment focuses on managing the psychological aspects of addiction and rebuilding a healthy lifestyle.
- Cocaine Addiction: Cocaine addiction treatment includes behavioral therapies like cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and contingency management, along with group therapy sessions, to address the psychological dependency.
- Prescription Drug Addiction: This encompasses addiction to prescription medications like painkillers, sedatives, and stimulants. Treatment involves managing withdrawal symptoms, therapy to address the reasons for misuse, and strategies to avoid relapse.
- Benzodiazepine Addiction: Treatment typically includes a gradual tapering process to safely reduce dependence, coupled with counseling and therapy to address the underlying issues that led to addiction.
- Opioid Addiction: This includes addiction to prescription opioids and illegal opioids like heroin. Treatment may involve medication-assisted treatment (MAT), behavioral therapies, and support groups.
- Heroin Addiction: Treatment often combines MAT with other therapies like CBT and group therapy. The focus is on managing withdrawal symptoms and addressing the psychological aspects of addiction.
- Codeine Addiction: Treatment involves a combination of detoxification at a Santa Ana detox center, counseling, and support groups. Since codeine is an opioid, MAT may also be used as part of the treatment.
- Fentanyl Addiction: Given its potency, treatment for fentanyl addiction often requires a carefully managed detox process, followed by long-term therapy and support to address the high risk of relapse.
- Hydromorphone Addiction: Treatment includes medical detoxification and therapy. Hydromorphone is an opioid, and treatment may include MAT along with individual and group therapies.
- Hydrocodone Addiction: Another opioid, treatment for this addiction typically involves a combination of detoxification, MAT, behavioral therapy, and counseling. It focuses on managing withdrawal symptoms and preventing relapse.
The reason these drugs cause addiction varies but generally involves changes in brain chemistry. Most addictive substances alter the brain’s reward system by flooding it with dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward.
Over time, the brain adapts to the excess dopamine, leading to tolerance (needing more of the substance to achieve the same effect) and dependence (needing the substance to feel normal). This cycle perpetuates the addiction, making professional help vital for recovery.
Santa Ana Detox Center at South Coast Behavioral Health
If you or a loved one are seeking treatment for addiction, South Coast Behavioral Health is here to help. The first step in treating addiction is a medical detox. This means using drugs to manage withdrawal symptoms.
Our Santa Ana detox center is staffed by caring and compassionate professionals who can provide you with medications to manage your withdrawal symptoms.
At South Coast, we take pride in offering care that is closely tailored to specific issues. To that end, we offer gender-specific detox programs, with medical detox for men in Irvine, CA, and medical detox for women in Huntington Beach, CA.
After detoxing, proper treatment can begin.
Treatment for substance abuse takes place along an entire spectrum of care. Along that entire spectrum are various behavioral therapies, support groups, and the use of medically-assisted treatment (MAT).
We are open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year.
These levels of treatment are, in order, as follows:
Residential Treatment in California
After successfully completing medical detox, you’ll receive inpatient treatment in Orange County California. There, you’ll receive medically-assisted treatment and dual diagnosis treatment to deal with any cravings or co-occurring mental health issues you may be battling.
We also offer residential treatment facilities in Costa Mesa, Irvine, and Huntington Beach for those who desire gender-specific treatment. There, patients get round-the-clock medical attention and monitoring while living at the institution full-time.
In addition to individual and group counseling and medication management, you’ll also have access to leisure activities and family support services.
Partial Hospitalization in California
Most clients start substance abuse treatment with South Coast in our residential treatment program. After completing that, many desire something that still provides structure and support, but with extra space and time to oneself. For that, we offer Partial Hospitalization in Newport Beach.
A step down from inpatient care but with more structure than conventional outpatient programs, partial hospitalization offers a good balance for those looking to ease back into normal life. Clients can receive care five to seven days a week for a number of hours each day, returning back to their homes in the evening.
This way, they can recover without putting their daily lives completely on hold, receiving intense therapeutic interventions like group and individual therapy, skill development, and medication management as necessary.
Intensive Outpatient Treatment in California
For those leaving inpatient residential treatment or partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient programs (IOP) are yet another gradual step forward on the road to recovery.
With a focus on group therapy, individual counseling, and education, clients undergoing Intensive Outpatient Treatment in Newport Beach can meet three to five days a week. Each session lasts three hours.
This level of care requires the least amount of attendance at a facility.
If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction but wonder how long addiction treatment takes or have other questions, call us at 866-881-1184 or contact us here. Our highly qualified staff will be happy to help give you an idea on what to expect from your addiction recovery timeline, help verify your insurance, and assist with any other questions you may have.